August 23, 2011

Top 5 Unusual Places to practice Yoga

Yoga isn't just for studios or the home, at least not for me. I'll take the time to practice yoga anywhere and everywhere! With a full-time job and a teaching schedule, sometimes it can be difficult to fit in a studio practice so below I've listed the top 5 places you can find me fitting a quick practice in:


1. Elevator - Even in the office I like to get my practice in. While I'm riding the elevator up and down the floors I do backbends, warrior poses, downdog, uttanasana..anything to give me a quick little stretch to keep me from getting stiff and to relieve some stress. Yes, it can be a bit akward for the other person outside the elevator when the doors open and I'm in downdog, I don't embarass easy so I just smile and say hello as if it's normal to find someone practicing yoga in the elevators.

2. At my desk in the office - This is actually one of my favorite places to practice arm balances and teach others in the office. I'll do a quick astavakrasana, eka pada koundiyanasana II, bakasana, bhujangasana, or downdog. My co-workers will even stop by with a quick, "Hey, can you show me how to do such and such pose correctly?" and i'll break it down for them and we will have a quick little session behind my desk. If an office is empty for the day, we'll step in there instead for a little more privacy.

3. Airport  - Requirement to get to the airport before a flight is at least 1 hour, i like to get there 1 1/2 to 2 hours early so I can fit in a little practice before I get on the plane. I'll set my stuff down, plop on the floor and do a floor workout, occasionally with a headstand. Yes, I'm that girl that everyone points and stares at because how dare she embarrass herself like. ;)

4. Standing at a cross-walk - as I wait for the light to turn (some of the stoplights in Westwood are ridiculous, they can stay one color for 10mins.) I like to do a quick tree-pose, focusing on my third eye internally to bring me peace. It tends to make everything around you slow down and become quieter, like time is standing still.

5. Beautiful Great Outdoors - although not an unusual place to practice, mother nature has always been my favorite place, for anything. I grew up on a farm where every day was spent out in the garden, in the trees, the sandbox, the pastures, at the river fishing, swimming and boating. I've always felt a deep connection with the earth and to this day, any chance for an outdoor yoga pracitce I'll take it, whether it's at the beach, on a hiking trail, or on top of a mountain. The tranquility of the birds chirping and wind blowing makes me become more present than I am at any other moment.

 Practicing in a tree in Malibu...



Where is your favorite place to break out a quick practice? Add it to my comments below. Or what unusual place would you like to see me pop up and practice? Comment and I'll post a photo of me practicing in your requested spot!

No comments: