November 29, 2011

Shadow Yoga Workshop DAY 1

I was ecstatic when my acupunturist at Golden Monkey Healing in Sherman Oaks sent me an e-mail with details on his next Shadow Yoga Workshop. For 6 days I will be learning a new technique and going against everything I have learned in my 10 years of praciticing yoga ; )

Last night was my first night. I bumped into my friend Casey who brought along a couple of her acro-yoga friends so we did a little "flying" as they call it in the acro world before class started. This will be my next adventure in yoga : )

Description of Shadow Yoga
Developed by Natanaga Zhander, Shadow Yoga is a modern school of yoga that is rooted in classical hatha yoga. Emphasis is placed on four prelude forms which prepare the student for the classical asanas. Reflecting common principles found in yoga, Indian cultural dance, martial arts, and the Ayurvedic and Siddha systems on medicine, the Shadow forms combine leg work and skillful arm movements with deep breath work to strengthen and free the energy of the periphery channels. This energy can then feed into and increases the central life force.

With curvy lines we floated into one pose to the next, we just got started so we have learned the warm-up sequence which lasts about 10mins, a few asanas and sun salutes. Tomorrow we will be adding on to our sequence and learning more asanas. It's not like your traditional yoga where you keep a straight back in all your poses, rounding of the back in some poses is encouraged. It also involves deep breathing without the sound of the ujayii breath. It was such a beautiful class, of course I don't have the smooth lines yet and I tend to fall in certain poses as I'm not used to this type of yoga.

I have attached a video to give you an idea of what we are working on..


If interested in the next workshop you can contact Matt at Golden Monkey Healing. I believe the next one starts in January but he will be able to give you more details.

No comments: