January 31, 2012

First Skydiving Experience

Saturday January 28th was my GOLDEN birthday -- for those that don't know what that means, it's when you turn the age of the day you were born -- so for me, I turned 28 on the 28th. Yes, I just revealed my age to everyone. Most women are afraid of this...NOT ME. I love getting older and wiser, just wish the skin would stay in its teens. haha.

I wanted to do something special for this birthday since it was a special birthday Skydiving was on my bucket yes, yes people really do have these..at least I do : ) so I decided this was the easiest and most accessible thing on my list to achieve on my birthday. I gathered up a group of friends that were brave enough to join, or not so brave but decided to conquer this fear and go for it. We ended up with a nice group of 5 lovely people, all first time jumpers! We took off from Los Angeles and ventured up the coast to Lompoc - a town 1 hour north of Santa Barbara in wine country. We jumped out of the car, well I did and danced the whole way to check-in. After we checked in we had to watch a quick video while we signed our disclaimer stating we could die and we won't sue if we do die -- tell me, if i'm dead, how is this even possible? ha.

After the paper work we had to wait around for about a hour because of fog delays from the morning jumpers. While we waited I did my own yoga practice, danced some more, did some more yoga and danced some more. My adrenaline was so high I couldn't even stand it. A friend of mine in New York City called the night before to wish me a happy birthday at midnight - NYC time and we made a bet, that I would pee at least 5 times before I got on the plane because of all my excitement. We both lost the bet, it was only two times ; ) unless you count the 2 or 3 times before I drove up to the jump. Looks like we split dinner!

When it was our turn they called us up to get us suited into our sexy jump suits and to partner us up with our instructor. I told them to give me the cutest one they got so they paired me up with Josh. They picked my type well!!! Shaggy hair, scruffy face, tall...yup..he was CUTE! haha. We went through a quick run down of what was going to happen and the video taping started -- we jumped on the plane, sat in front of our partners, I gave Josh a lap dance..on my birthday..wait..wasn't i suppose to be getting some kind of favor..hmmm. haha. My excitement level continued to rise the higher we got, once we reached 13,000ft it was time. I swung my legs out of the plane, Josh pushed and we were gone!!! AHHHHHHHHH! The experience was so amazing, it was beautiful! The feeling of floating in the air is really hard to describe, something you all have to experience yourselves, lets just say I was very happy Josh had ear plugs in cause I couldn't stop screaming, "Oh my god. Oh my god wow this is amazing. Beautiful." and it continued like that the whole way down. We did experience a little malfunction with our first parachute, apparently, whoever packed it didn't pull the strings tight enough so there was a little tangled mess. When Josh said, "Ok, this is not good." My face goes from extremem excitment to holy shit I'm high up here and I may die on my birthday (and you can see this happening in the video). He talked me through what to do and we were both very calm in the situation..I pulled the cord, we plummeted towards the earth and then our reserve chute opened up and ahhhhhh...we're ALIVE!! hahaha. This really added to the excitment of the whole ride. I'm going back next month to do it again!!!!

Here's the video :) turn up the volume and enjoy the ride!




Thank you Skydive Santa Barbara -- can not wait to see you all again!!!!
skydivesantabarbara.com

No comments: